Perjeta is Pertuzumab
- It is a targeted therapy to be used before surgery and in combination with other HER2 postive breast cancer drugs such as Herceptin (trastuzumab).
- Perjeta has a different way of working than the other HER2 positive breast cancer medications.
- Pertuzumab is a monoclonal antibody (like trastuzumab). The first of its class in a line of agents called “HER dimerization inhibitors.”
- Both Perjeta and Herceptin target HER2 but work in complementary ways. The combination may increase the death of cancer cells.
- Perjeta is contraindicated in pregnancy.
- FDA approved for Genentech (makers of Herceptin, too) on September 12, 2013.
- Before surgery usage is called neoadjuvant or now called primary systemic therapy.