- BIRADS stands for breast imaging reporting and data systems. It was created to standardize mammographic results.
- Biopsy is not required for BI-RADS 1,2, and 3.
- BI-RADS 0 indicates technical concerns.
- Proceeding to biopsy without additional imaging is strongly indicated for BI-RADS 4 or 5.
- Family history is not a part of the breast imaging reporting and data (BIRADS).
- If a BI-RADS 4 lesion ends up being benign, it is most likely a fibrocystic process (rather than a fibroadenoma – which occurs more likely in BI-RADS 3 patients.
- The frequency of carcinoma is 25-30% in BI-RADS 4 lesions associated with a mass.
- Ductal carcinoma (DCIS) is the most common malignancy with BI-RADS 4 patients, then next common is invasive ductal carcinoma. This order is reversed in BI-RADS 5 patients.
- No additional imaging needed.